mandag den 13. december 2010

Install Rails 3.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 using RVM


I am on a new tour. I want to find out about that Rails thing. Coming from a .NET world something the Rails world seems interesting enough to have a go at it. I´ve been using a course on www.rubylearning.org for learning the Ruby language itself. I can definitely recommend to do that. A very good course which demands that you actively do something to get through it. But coming back to the Rails thing, this blog-entry should be about how to install Rails 3 on a Ubuntu 10.10. First of all I found out that installing Rails on Ubuntu can be complex but I found out that installing RVM could make life easier. So first of all I installed RVM using this guide: http://ruby.about.com/od/rubyversionmanager/ss/installrvmlinux.htm

After installation of RVM the system should be ready for some Ruby / Rails installation. First install Ruby 1.9.2 by: RVM install 1.9.2


This will fetch the source and compile. So it might take a while before it is done.
Now set the default ruby version with:

ruby --default ruby-1.9.2

now install rails by:

gem install rails <-- don´t use sudo as RVM now takes care of having the gems on your home folder


Ingen kommentarer: