mandag den 13. december 2010

Learning Ruby

About a month ago I needed something new to learn. And since a long time I have been reading stuff about Rails and how Rails was a fantastic solution for creating websites by using a standard way of handling various common issues when developing websites. Since Rails is build on Ruby I thought it could be a benefit to learn Ruby before opening the big box of Rails. Surfing around the web gave me a link to Rubylearning.org. Rubylearning is a site centeret around learning Ruby and Ruby-centeret stuff like Sinatra. At the time I was ready to learn Ruby they actually launched a Ruby beginner course. The price for the course was low, $14, so what could I loose?

The course was setup with 7 weeks of studying, with a interval of 1 week for each area. Every area would contain some background material to read, and some exercises to solve. Each week has it´s own forum where you upload your exercise-solutions and questions (if any). Within a short time after commiting your stuff a hardworking competent teacher read and commented on your solution. Because everybody could see each other solutions and comments this inspired to change your solution or gave a hint how to solve a exercise. And this was almost the best of the course. In my humble opion the course gave full value for your bucks. Before signing up be prepared to use some extra hours every week on programming puzzles.

So go and see if Rubylearning.org does not have a course for you.

I am hooked on Ruby and have already launched my first Sinatra solution on Heroku used internal at my company. yay

Ingen kommentarer: